On the Ritz: we tried concentration drug Ritalin

We try out classroom drug Ritalin

I took the tablet in the morning and was half hoping to simultaneously grow a pair of spectacles, discover the cure for athlete’s foot and recite profound Shakespeare quotes.

But alas, I remained a moron for the time being and after the consumption of more caffeine themed stimulants, went in search for the elusive high one can only obtain through given knowledge.

PILLS!

Then it kicked in. This was probably the most fucking, exhilarating publishing lecture on finance anyone’s ever experienced. I wrote six pages of indistinguishable notes, smashing my previous record.

It was kind of interesting and tragically unusual. Around me were my fatigued peers, heads slumped into palms or resting on desks like they were playing heads down thumbs up, while I sat up-straight in my chair, hand raised, transfixed, staring out my lecturer as she nervously answered my hundredth annoying question.

It was like that Bruce Almighty scene where he answers emails

It’s not everyday someone suggests you take Ritalin for an article and the whole drugs taboo thing meant I was initially apprehensive but I’d asked Frank and he came up with jack, so we’re probably OK. The only class this drug is in, is the one in school.

I was learning not gurning, writing not fighting off the urge to fall asleep and was fully engaged with the lesson.

But how much of this was placebo? Ritalin or methylphenidate is a stimulant used in breaking bad (sorry) habits of hyperactivity and impulse.

The numbers of prescriptions for it have risen over 50% in England during the past 6 years and is most commonly issued to people with attention deficit disorder, narcolepsy and occasionally self-confessed dossers with lethargy.

Read every single one of these…

Ben (yes, we’ve changed his name) takes Ritalin every day and was kind enough to share his insight on the day-to-day effects of the stimulant.

How has using Ritalin affected your everyday behaviour? Can you say it really works?

‘When I was younger I found it to have a completely different effect. It used to just calm me down and help me focus but now the effects are seemingly opposite. I started taking it when I was 12 after my teachers recommended that I get checked out for ADD, which turned out to be right.

I get so much stuff done when I’m on Ritalin with a bit of motivation and being honest I really don’t know how I’d get anything done without it.’

Do you think your academic performance has improved? Do you feel reliant on them?

‘Well it’s hard to tell, I mean I’ve been taking them for so long I don’t know what my work would be like without it. Seeing as it’s pretty mediocre at the moment I’m going to have to guess shit.

I don’t take it all the time, most days I won’t and only really take it when I’ve got loads of work or stuff to do.

It’s tiring taking it you always feel so drained after you’ve finished the day. For that reason I wouldn’t say I’m reliant, I don’t like the effects enough for me to take it.’

They aren’t magical beans that are going to motivate you to work, you have to do that bit yourself, but the subtle attentiveness I had throughout the day felt rewarding and sadly unusual. So to tell you what you knew already, drugs are great.

To get more from The Brookes Tab, like us on Facebook.