Gentlemen Fighters Training Hard

Brookes boxers busy gearing up for the fight of their lives

The second edition of the Brookes Gentlemen’s Fight Night is only a week away and the Boxers are working hard in training, well, most of them are at least.

The OMAA Boxing Gym in Cowley is where the Brookes Boxers are readying themselves for their fights. Under the guidance of three-times Albanian Boxing Champion, Denis Hysenbelli, the inexperienced group of students are hoping to transform into elite fighters, but it isn’t that easy.

Three times Albanian champion, Denis

“Some are naturally talented, and some aren’t. Those who aren’t naturally talented need time, and that’s the one thing they do not have.” said trainer Denis.

Steven ‘The Clubber’ Mayes has disappointingly called time on his boxing career

The intensive session seemed to be hitting some harder than others. Certain boys were relentlessly beating their punch bags while others were lightly tapping it between intervals of wiping the sweat from their brows.

The Tab spoke to third year Real Estate Student Jack ‘Midnight’ Gillingham at the session.

Why did you choose to do Fight Night this year?

“It’s for the challenge. I reckon this is the toughest thing I’ve done and fighting in front of 800 people is a pretty daunting thought, but an experience I’m relishing. Plus I’m hoping it will get me laid, I think that’s the main reason all the boys are doing this.”

What’s your boxing experience?

“Apart from a few street brawls, nothing whatsoever, but I’m enjoying learning.”

Do you have any words for your opponent, Harry ‘the hammer’ Robertson?

“He’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever met! But not intimidating in any away imaginable, so he better watch out!”

Gentlemen’s Fight Night takes place at The Oxford Guild Hall on Thursday November 21st, remaining tickets are available from The Fighters. Visit the Facebook page for details.