Big Budget Beauty Spending

Brookes 44th in beauty spending survey.

Students are spending over £1,000 a year on beauty products.

Escentual.com has done a survey on how much we all spend on beauty products and the results are not surprising.

The biggest spenders are Lancaster with £1,109 a year followed by York, then Durham. Coventry and Falmouth spend only £10 a year between them. A majority of those that splash the cash are from the Russell Group, probably fulfilling some kind of stereotype. Oxford is 25th with a spending of £155. Brookes on the other hand is 44th with an average spend of £80 a year. Is that it?!

Online spending is where most of our money goes, which equates to around 20% of a yearly student loan. Personally, I prefer Boots (two words: Advantage Card), with the Oxford Cornmarket one being my all-time favourite store. It has several premium brands for when the loan’s just come in, and all the lower priced ones, for when you’ve hit the overdraft.  I don’t enjoy the mini heart attack when they tell you the total though…£50? I could have sworn I only went in for one nail varnish?

But it’s not just high-street brands taking our cash, brands such as Clarins and Dior are getting a look in too. The most popular product across the board? Avène Eau Thermale Spring Water Spray. Something I’ve never brought.

With Christmas around the corner and the new collections hitting the stands as I type I can see my total about to go even higher.

All facts and figures from the Escentual.com University Beauty Spending Survey