Do You Fit The Stereotype?

Ever wondered who lives in Slade Park? The Tab presents a handy guide to the accommodation on offer at Brookes.

Disclaimer: who knew Brookes students had such a penchant for nicknames?

Cheney

Student budgeting isn’t an issue.

Cheney, more commonly referred to as ‘Chateaux du Chenay’, is known for its 98:2 public/state school ratio. Being seen in a club without a table and a bottle or two of grey goose is about as unlikely as finding a resident who hasn’t attended boarding school since the ripe old age of three.

Clive Booth

Known as ‘Chav Booth’ to its Cheney rivals, Clive Booth is simply a more down to earth version. You’re unlikely to walk past partridges hanging out of the window on your way to morning lectures.

Wheatley

Infamously known for apparently having the highest suicide rate in the UK, Wheatley is a word that could send shivers down the spine of any Brookes student. Seven miles outside of Oxford visitors stepping of the U1 bus are met by a desolate, concrete jungle. One Wheatley occupant tried to convince me that he was in the best accommodation because he got a double bed.

Warneford

If you are a party animal, Warneford is not the place for you. It’s populated by mature students and second, third and fourth years that couldn’t find a house and rumour has it that there are even people there who’ve graduated but can’t quite let go. Those who are brave enough to whack out their Tesco value vodka for some good old fashioned pre drinks better make sure they are gone by 10pm or there will be hell to pay from your warden.

Crescent

Looking less than convinced.

Has unfortunately been re-christened ‘Crescent Peasant’. I once asked a friend who lived in Crescent if she minded the snooty nickname but was told that she didn’t mind a bit. Infact she agreed with it. In her own words, ‘It’s a s**t hole’.

Paul Kent

We Brookes student really excelled ourselves when it came to Paul Kent’s nickname, ‘Bent Kent,’ because of the large LGBT population. The Tab also recommends you keep your wits about you when walking around due to the notoriously pervy security guard.

Slade Park

Slade is a place of mystery to me. I’m yet to be meet someone who’s lived there and even less sure of where it actually is. I’ve heard from reliable sources that it has a post-apocalyptic emptiness about it with the occasional student scuttling back to their room from a lecture.

Dorset House

A home from home.

Dorset House defies anything you thought you knew about student accommodation. Modern kitchen, double beds, even a LIVING ROOM with actual sofas! Generally favoured by those who prefer/can afford to live in luxury without the noise of next doors pre drinks every night. At the price they charge for rent they’ve probably sound-proofed the walls.

If you’d like to get involved with The Brookes Tab contact [email protected] to find out more.