The Tab’s Guide to Jericho

Bored of the city centre? Planning a date to remember? The Tab brings you an alternative day out in Jericho.

With the name of a biblical city, Jericho is one of the most trendy areas in Oxford and the stomping ground of many a Oxford student.

Just five minutes walk from the city centre, it boasts some of the finest cocktail houses and restaurants.

We know it’s a bit or a trek from the comforts of Cowley Road but if you suddenly feel the urge to be adventurous here are a couple of suggestions to keep you amused.

Go for lunch.

The arduous journey across town will have given you a hearty appetite. Luckily there is wide range of cuisines on offer in Jericho. Be fishy at Loch Fyne, go French at Raymond Blanc Brasserie or try Indian at Arzoo. The Tab recommends Italian restaurant Branca for delicious food, affordable prices and excellent atmosphere.

Walk it off.

The waistband of your jeans is probably feeling a little uncomfortable after your lunch extravaganza so take a stroll in Port Meadow. The fields run alongside the river but be wary of the horses and herds of cows.

It’s cocktail o’clock.

Jericho is home to some of the finest cocktails in Oxford. You’ll find a spectrum of great tasting concoctions with funny names. Take your pick from Raoul’s, voted one of the top 50 bars in the World, or The Duke of Cambridge. We also love Angel’s for its delicious cocktails, student discount and complimentary bowls of peanuts.

Go Indie.

Jericho is home to Phoenix Picture House which shows artsy films as well as the occasional blockbuster. There are also thrift shops to be found, as well as a few upmarket clothes boutiques.