Student calls George Galloway a ‘racist’ during MP’s speech at the Oxford Union

Oxford student launches verbal attack on MP George Galloway during Union speech.

Scroll down for video

An Oxford student heckled George Galloway and called him a racist during a question and answer session with the MP at the Oxford Union this evening.

Brasenose student Jonathan Hunter stood up in the audience and addressed Galloway in Hebrew, after being invited to ask the MP a question.

As Hunter continued to speak in Hebrew he walked into the middle of the chamber towards Galloway. Visibly shaken Galloway warned the second-year student: “Do not come any closer.”

Galloway noticed that Hunter was concealing an object behind him. Galloway shouted: “What’s that underneath his jumper?”

The packed chamber watched Hunter stick his hand behind his back to reveal an Israeli flag.  A union officer grabbed Hunter as he lunged towards Galloway nervously sitting at the speaker’s table.

Hunter escaping the clutches of the officer then unfurled the flag across his back with arms out-stretched shouting: “I do not debate with racists.”

According to The Oxford Student newspaper Hunter is believed to be a friend of student Eylon Aslan-Levy who debated with Galloway in February. The debate attracted headlines after Galloway was filmed leaving the meeting telling Aslan-Levy of Israeli descent: “I don’t debate with Israelis.”

A union member of staff then escorted Hunter out of the chamber in front of a shocked audience.

The Respect MP for Bradford West had just finished his speech criticising the Conservative government, Labour and the security services, before he invited questions from the audience.

After the Hunter’s protest Galloway defended his controversial opinions on Israel comparing it to Apartheid South Africa. He passionately recounted his efforts fighting South African apartheid with Jewish colleagues to applause.

It is not yet known whether the Union will be take action against Jonathon Hunter.