Brookes vs Oxford Secret Face-Off

Brookes Rugby Union suffer defeat at the hands of Oxford

Friday night at the historic Iffley Road Stadium saw Oxford Brookes Rugby Union take on Oxford University Greyhounds, the University’s second team.

The first clash of the season between the two rival universities brought great disappointment for the relatively inexperienced Brookes side who lost 53-3.

Brookes were faced with a strong OURFC Greyhounds squad but managed to take the lead within the first five minutes from a penalty. But afterwards a lack of experience resulted in Brookes being down at the half time whistle and consequently losing the game by 50 points.

Despite the loss, Captain-for-the-day Samson Earle, defended the team saying: “It was difficult after a year off, we have lost momentum but there are positive signs.”

OBRUFC’s new coach Dusty Miller praised the team saying “the players are truly fervent in their desire to win both on and off the field. It bodes well for the season.”

He went on to say that this may have been the hardest games the players would play.

But the score was not the only major talking point of the evening. In previous years this fixture had seen packed stands, singing, and a fantastic atmosphere that occasionally spilled over into pandemonium (multiple streakers etc.). However this game was not advertised and passed without anyone (including The Tab’s Sports Editor) finding out. This was to avoid the trouble of previous years and to maintain to new ‘clean living’ nature that Brookes Rugby Union has been forced to adapt.

Want to get involved with The Brookes Tab? Email [email protected]