Meet The Teams

The Tab brings you a round-up of the biggest of names in charge of the biggest of games

So you’re now at Brookes and you want to get involved with one (or more) of the many fantastic sports teams we have. The Brookes Tab has been so lovely as to compile a short guide to the BNOCs that you need to know.

Hockey Club President

Name: David Trim
Hometown: Winchester
Course: Geography and Sports Coaching
Fact: David has history of stealing portable radiators
David says: “The hockey team is great for everyone, social and competitive aspects are top notch and we’re always looking for new people to come along.”

Girls Hockey 1st Team Captain

Name: Rosie Atkinson
Hometown: Ulverston
Course: Sports Coaching and Physical Education
Fact: Rosie was a plumbing and heating apprentice until she had to unblock a urinal
Rosie says: “The secret of winning a hockey game is working more as a team, less as individuals. I play not my 11 best, but my best 11.”

Dance Society President

Name: Rachel Bergan
Hometown: Barnsley
Course: English Literature with Communications, Media and Culture
Fact: Rachel is a Pescatarian and tells most people she’s from Sheffield to avoid the follow-up line “You’re from B-ahhhhh-nsleh??”
Rachel says: “The Dance Society is the biggest society at Oxford Brookes. We have regular socials and spend hours a week doing what we love, which means we’re all really good friends! All abilities are welcome to join and we take part in different performances throughout the year, ending with their biggest performance at The End of Year Show.”

Men’s Football Club Captain

Name: Charlie Forbes
Hometown: East Grinstead, West Sussex
Course: International Hospitality Management
Fact: Charles can wiggle one ear at a time and is a closet-Rugby fanatic.
Charlie says: “Football is the most social sports team at Oxford Brookes. We perform at very high standards in all five of our squads, and because of this you will make friends-for-life playing and partying alongside each other. If you like football joining OBUFC will give the greatest University experience you could ask for.”

Women’s Football Club Co-Captain

Name: Emma Stanbridge
Hometown: South Gloucestershire
Course: Real Estate Management
Fact: Emma’s sense of humour is drier than the Sahara Desert which often leaves her in very odd situations when other people don’t get it.
Emma says: “OBUWFC won the ‘social of the year’ award which was presented at the sports awards end of year dinner for the outstanding efforts of partying and displays of table dancing at Varsity.”

Men’s American Football President

Name: Julian Wakeford
Hometown: Brighton
Course: International Business Economics and Finance
Fact: Julian is a perfectionist in everything he does, and if his room isn’t spotless he goes crazy, not your average student.
Julian says: “New team, new kit, new marketing, new season. Believe maroon, bleed green. Find our team on Facebook for more information on joining, no previous experience necessary and you don’t need your own kit to join.”

Women’s Rugby Union Club President

Name: Deirdre Waters
Hometown: Ireland
Course: Occupational Therapy
Fact: Deirdre owns a Unicorn which has become the team mascot
Deirdre says: “Get on the floor Fresher!” (interesting)

Men’s Rugby Union Club President

Name: Barnaby Carter
Hometown: East Grinstead, West Sussex
Course: Human Biology
Fact: Barnaby has seen a Ghost
Barnaby says: “It’s good to be back!”

Men’s Rugby League Club President

Name: Will Crisp
Hometown: Bristol
Course: Sports and Exercise Science
Fact: Will’s incredibly curly hair never fails to be a hit with the women.
Will says: Whether you’re new to rugby league or just new to rugby altogether come along and give it a try, previous players have gone on to play international rugby and some current players had never run 10 yards before joining our team (Mikey “Chubbs” Bowerman)”

Netball Club 1st Team Captain

Name: Anna Glover
Hometown: Norwich
Course: Education
Fact: Anna was Club President last year and also speaks Mandarin.
Anna says: “One piece of advice I’d give to a fresher- join a sports team! And if you have played netball, get involved at Brookes. I know I might be biased but it’s the best club with an amazing group of girls.”