The 8 types of housemate every student has to put up with

Every housemate has a set of habits and quirks. Some are quality, others…not so much.

| UPDATED accomodation housemates houses

With exams drawing to a close, people are starting to up sticks and head home. Many are looking forward to the following year, a fresh start in a new house with new housemates. For some, it’ll be the first time out of halls, living with a few select friends you’ve chosen with care.

But whether you’re staying at uni or moving away, you’ll soon discover that everyone has their particular habits. Some of these are quality. Others… well not so much. So read on as we identify just some popular traits. Watch out for these people:

The clean freak

Always complaining and never satisfied with the state of the house; they expect it to look like a show home at ALL times.

Whether it be that one empty beer can that just missed the bin or the lone sock left on top of the washing machine, this person will be sure to remind you to tidy it up. Tends to be the main culprit for the annoying ‘please can you do X guys’ note on the fridge.

This person will be all about the passive-aggressive note

The smelly one

Struggles to operate the most basic shower/bath/washing machine/tooth brush/deodorant can. Easily identifiable by the fact they only change clothes on a weekly basis. Each tends to have their own unique fragrance.

You won’t ever catch this person queueing for the bathroom

The fridge raider

Never has their own food but never goes hungry due to excessive ‘borrowing’. Will however forget he/she owes you that packet of biscuits from 2 weeks ago when pressed. Often hard to identify early on as these people tend to be extremely good at deflecting the blame.

I hope that’s not MY milk you’re using

The aquaphobe

Has a deep fear and distrust of water, sinks and fairy liquid. This will not however stop them from using every piece of crockery in the house when making a meal. Tends not to get on well with the clean freak.

This person is allergic to washing up

The exploder

Achieves total domination of the house by leaving a trail of their belongings through every room. It’s not entirely uncommon to find these items in the most unlikely places: toasters, fridges and under sheets.

Why are there teddy bears in every room of our house?

The walking PDA

Incapable of spending anytime without the boyfriend/girlfriend and most likely to be found intertwined on the sofa in a tangled mess of limbs. The other half has also developed a nasty habit of turning up at any time between 11pm and 4am, blind drunk and intent on waking everyone else up.

I’d say get a room, but even then we’d still be able to hear you

The essay ninja

Occupies their room silently working for hours on end. Becomes hostile when music is played at levels that are deemed unsuitable or when couples engage in loud, night time activities. Not to be disturbed during the exam period unless you’re looking for a painful demise.

Whatever you do, don’t disturb him

The lonely heart

Always has a tragedy in their life. This can be anything from a member of the opposite sex, work, world poverty or losing their pen. Don’t worry about figuring out what it is though because this person will spend hours telling you and their 700 facebook friends all about it.

Hopefully one of her housemates owned a dictionary

So whether you think you’re living with three clean freaks and an essay ninja or five smelly ones, don’t forget, there’s always a cheeky fridge raider in there somewhere!