New building will open late

If you thought you could escape the noise of building works next term, think again

If you thought the incessant noise of building works would be a thing of the past come September then brace yourself.

The redevelopment works at the Brookes Headington campus have been hit by delays.

The new building will open in stages

Originally due to fully open for the new term, the John Henry Brookes Building will now open in phases between September and January as parts become ready.

No official reason has been given for the delay but registrar Paul Large was keen to stress the decision was part of a carefully prepared “contingency plan” that would allow students and staff “the opportunity to test the new spaces.”

Large said: “The building will open in phases during semester one of the 2013-14 academic year.

“This is as part of a phased opening contingency plan we are putting into place and will ensure a smooth transition into our new spaces.”

Sections of the Abercrombie building opened earlier this year offering some a glimpse into the University’s new neon pink, green and grey centre.

The rest of us however, will have to wait many more months before we can escape from the dated confines of Brookes’ older buildings.