Seven affordable activities in Bristol which you have to do this Christmas

Watch the glittering performance of The Nutcracker at Bristol Old Vic and make a mince pie

Every year I get to Christmas day and say “wow that was over so quickly”. Sitting the ASS every day may be a winter ritual now but it doesn’t exactly get you in the Christmas mood.

You cant exactly take a sweet one to Winter Wonderland in Bristol but there are plenty of other and cheaper things to do that will have you feeling jolly.

Here is a list of seven affordable and fun activities to do around Bristol that will get you wanting to deck the halls and pop some Michael Bublé on.

1. Bristol Panto Soc performance

Credit: @pantosoc vis Instagram

It doesn’t get any more christmassy than watching a panto and you’re in luck because UoB Pantomime Society is putting on a grand performance.

The Whimsical Wizard of OZ will be on the Winston stage 7th, 8th and 9th of December and tickers are only £8 so grab a few drinks, go along and scream “he’s behind you”.

2. Buy matching X-mas jumpers with your house

Hit the charity shops and try and find some ugly Christmas sweaters for you all to wear around the house or heres an Amazon one for £9.99.

3. Sip mulled wine

Outside every Bristol pub is a sign offering takeaway mulled wine at the moment. Her Majesty’s Secret Service, the hidden speakeasy next to Clifton Down Station, is one of my favourites and you could take your mulled wine for a chilly walk up on The Downs.

If you want to be more like a true Bristolian have a mulled cider instead.

4. Make mince pies

Get in the Christmas spirit and simultaneously have super cute bonding time with your house by making the pie which you wouldn’t even consider eating at any other time of year. These are super easy to make and you can even buy pre-made pastry and mince if cooking isn’t one of your strengths.

BBC good food recipe for mince pies is here. 

5. The Nutcracker

Credit: Geraint Lewis

Watch the glittering theatre performance of The Nutcracker at Bristol Old Vic, the oldest continuously working theatre in the English speaking world. The tale moves away from the events in the ballet and is filled with delightful new songs, characters, dancing and lots of Christmas magic.

Tickets start at £8 but the good seats are a little more pricy. However, it will still cost you no more than a night out on the town and will make you feel like a very sophisticated adult.

6. Cabot Christmas Market> Winter Wonderland

Head down to Cabot’s German Christmas Market and explore over 40 unique stalls. This is free to attend so why not go and have a wonder through the fairy lights?

7. Ice skating

Run the risk of giving everyone you go with the ick by strapping on some boots and wobbling around a small circle of ice for an hour.

Propyard tickets start at £8 and it stays open until the 31st of January so you can fight the post Christmas blues by going after as well.