Bristol Uni’s women’s football team move closer to title with big win against Cardiff Met

Bristol smashed Cardiff Met 5-1 in what was a huge six pointer at the top of the table

The University of Bristol Women’s Football Club (UBWFC) 1st XI took a huge step towards securing the league title last night as they ran out 5-1 victors against Cardiff Metropolitan University at Coombe Dingle Sports Complex.

Going into the game the title race was on a knife-edge as Bristol and Cardiff Met sat joint-top of the table meaning that this game would determine who would have the ascendancy in the intense title race.

Prior to kick-off Club captain and 1st XI right-back Lizzie Moisan said: “It’s a real six pointer. We’ve got a really strong team with some really talented players – so I think we can do it.”

Stella Gandee Morgan, UBWFC 1st XI captain and Liberal Arts student, had the same optimistic outlook as her teammate, as she said: “It’s been a phenomenal season so far and the squad has really grown together. We’ve beaten every team in the league this season and there’s no reason we can’t go out and do it again on Wednesday, especially with the home advantage.”

Credit: @ubwfc

Both teams had to battle against absolutely horrendous conditions during the game as rain poured down relentlessly (presumably making the visitors feel very much at home), however, fortunately the game finished moments before hail began to fall onto the pitch.

The first-half was a close encounter with Eve Rhind scoring from a corner to ensure that the teams headed into the break with nothing between them as the score stood at 1-1.

However, the second-half was a completely different story as Bristol broke the stalemate and then proceeded to run riot, tearing Cardiff Met apart, with goals from Sophie Bater, Eve Rhind (bagging her brace), Anna Williams, and Martia Clarke wrapping up a memorable 5-1 victory at Coombe Dingle.

Credit: @ubwfc

UBWFC 1st XI will now feel extremely confident that they can go the rest of the season unbeaten and consequently secure an impressive league title to cap off what has been a phenomenal season of football.

Both teams now have only two games remaining before the league reaches its dramatic conclusion, illustrating the undeniable importance this match held as Cardiff Met are now left with barely any games to make-up the lost points and knock Bristol off top spot.

When university life eventually resumes in the new year the two sides will encounter a new challenge with the BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) football cup set to begin.

Looking back at the rest of the season, the Bristol women have been in scintillating from as they have so far only lost one of their seven, now eight, games following a frustrating 1-0 defeat away to Essex University last week.

That result, however, clearly failed to dampen the player’s spirits, as they regrouped rapidly to produce a brave and bullish display to dominate their in-form rivals and title challengers.

Dominant performances have not been hard to come by as they are a trademark of UBWFC 1st XI’s breath-taking campaign thus far, with a 6-0 win coming over the University of South Wales, and a 5-0 victory against Portsmouth University.

Unquestionably, the most impressive of their victories, however, came against local rivals Bath, where they found themselves 2-0 down at the break but managed to show bags of heart as they regrouped in the second-half to eventually run out 3-2 winners.

One of the most impressive players this season has certainly been striker and Medicine student, Marita Clarke who, as well as her goal against Cardiff Met, has managed to score a few hattricks on top of an incredible four goal haul in one game.

Credit: @ubwfc

Over the previous few years the club has witnessed an incredible amount of growth, with there currently being approximately 50 more players than there was last year, meaning that they can now field a total of five teams – the quality of players range from highly experienced to complete beginners.

The Lionesses historic and unforgettable Euros victory in July is surely a reason behind this sudden increase in numbers as they have successfully inspired women across the country to give a traditionally male dominated sport a go.

Credit: @ubwfc

“We had a massive new cohort of players this year,” said Lizzie, who is currently doing a Master’s of Research in Security, Conflict and Human Rights. She added that: “The Euros helped, but women’s football has just been boosted all over the country over the past few years, and we’re now starting to see that at the university level.”

If you’ve read this article and now fancy yourself as the next Lucy Bronze or Jill Scott and want to join the club then here is her message for you: “Give it a go! There’s no harm in trying a new sport – and specially football, because everyone is just going to be so lovely and so inclusive.”