BREAKING: Bristol Uni cancels all in-person classes tomorrow after police recommendation

Bristol Uni is canceling all in-person classes and is closing all non-essential buildings after Red Weather Warning

Bristol Uni has cancelled all in-person classes for tomorrow (Friday 18th) and is closing all campuses for non-essential services tomorrow after the Red Weather Warning issued by the Met Office for Bristol.

That means as well as in-person lectures and seminars being cancelled, the Indoor Sports Complex, Coombe Dingle and swimming pool will also be closed.

The Met Office has issued a Red Weather Warning across much of the South West and Bristol, relating to Storm Eunice, from 7:00 am to 12:00 noon tomorrow.

Individual university Schools will be in touch with their students regarding affected teaching tomorrow, but no in-person teaching will take place.

The Met Office has issued a rare Red Weather Warning across much of the South West and South Wales relating to Storm Eunice, which is due to hit tomorrow morning.

A Red Weather Warning means possible danger to life due to debris, disruption to travel, and blockages. Travel could be seriously affected, with GWR and the National Highway Authority advising against travel and expecting serious disruptions.

Winds of up to 90mph (144kmph) are expected in coastal areas, with flood warnings issued across the region.

Lucinda Parr, the Bristol University Registrar and University Secretary said in an email to students:  “The Met Office has issued a red weather warning, relating to Storm Eunice, covering much of the Southwest including the Bristol area for tomorrow morning from 7am-12noon.“Avon and Somerset police have this afternoon asked members of the public to avoid travelling on Friday morning wherever possible, and to follow weather and travel bulletins on local radio as well as checking local media websites.“Given the advice from the Met Office Police and Bristol City Council we have decided that our campuses will be closed for all non-essential activity. Your School will be in touch with any specific advice about accessing any teaching online rather than in person.“University staff are ready to deal with any incidents that arise due to the storm such as power outages or damage to buildings. If you need to report anything please contact the Maintenance helpdesk on 0117 928 9898 or email: [email protected]“For those living in University accommodation, please contact [email protected] with any storm-related issues.”