Bristol Uni wins gold at the Olympics as former student Hannah Mills wins sailing title

The Bristol Uni student becomes the most successful Olympic sailor in history

Former Bristol Uni student, Hannah Mills, became the most successful female Olympic sailor in history by taking gold in the women’s 470 at Tokyo 2020.

Mills, who studied Mechanical Engineering at Bristol Uni, came in fifth place with partner Eilidh McIntyre in this morning’s final race. However, carrying a 14-point lead into the medal race meant fifth was enough to take gold overall at the Enoshima Yacht Harbour in Japan.

Mills was also one of the Team GB flag bearers during the opening ceremony and said being chosen was one of the greatest moments of her career.

Mills, who began studying at Bristol University in 2006 ended her studies after two years in 2008 to turn all her attention towards her sailing.

She said she chose to do this to “give all my commitment to the London 2012 Olympic Games”.

The decision has certainly paid off after she won silver in London and went a step further to win gold in Rio, four years later.

Hannah Mills and Eilidh McIntyre embrace as they cross the finish line. Credit: BBC

Their win sparked wild celebrations as they took a dip in the Enoshima Yacht Harbour. Credit: BBC

Having been asked to carry the flag for Team GB at the Tokyo 2020 opening ceremony, Mills said it was one of the greatest moments of her career. She said: “To be asked to carry the flag for Team GB at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games is not a sentence I ever thought I’d say.

“When I was told it was completely overwhelming and when I had a moment to think about what it meant I got pretty emotional.”

Mills is one of seven other Bristol Uni students competing at Tokyo 2020 this summer.

She follows in the path of Angus Groom, who completed a Masters in Stem Cells and Regeneration in 2018, who won silver in the men’s quadruple sculls in Rowing.

There was less good fortune for Bristol Uni’s other Olympic hopefuls. Tom Mitchell, who graduated with a 2:1 in English and Philosophy in 2011, captained the Rugby 7s, but they finished an agonising fourth. Jazmine Sawyers, who competed in the women’s long jump final finished eighth.

There is still hope of another Olympic medal for the university as Andrew Pozzi competes tomorrow in the 110m hurdle final. The Management graduate finished eighth fastest in qualifying and will hope to build on his 2021 European Indoors silver medal he won in March.