Bristol and Bath JSoc urge students to fight for Uyghur Muslims

The amendment is in relation to allegations that China is committing genocide against the Uyghur muslims.

Bristol and Bath JSoc has written an open letter to all students urging them to call on their local MPs to support the upcoming ‘Genocide Amendment’.

This amendment has been devised specifically in relation to allegations that China is committing genocide against the Uyghur muslims, a charge Beijing has repeatedly denied.

The amendment passed by the Lords would give victims of genocide the power to ask the UK high court to determine if genocide is taking place. Such a determination would require the government to consider pulling out of any free trade agreement.

An earlier version of the amendment would have pressed the U.K. to terminate any trade deal if the other side was found by the British High Court to have committed genocide. This was narrowly defeated 319 votes to 308. John Penrose abstained.

This revised version of the amendment needs the support of just six more Conservative MPs to pass.

Bristol and Bath JSoc have also emailed Weston-super-Mare MP John Penrose who abstained in an earlier vote on this amendment.

He explained that “There’s widespread agreement about the importance of the cause, although less about the details of whether the currently-proposed amendment will deliver what we need in practice.”

The open letter states signed by the Bristol and Bath JSoc committees state:

“Jewish students know only too well what it is for people to suffer in this way, with too few to speak up for us.

“The hope then, for all future generations, was expressed in the words “Never Again” yet history has concerning predictions for what is happening in Xinjiang.

“Using the website genocideresponse.org, a letter can be generated to your MP.

Alongside Bristol JSoc other signatories of the letter include Bristol SU ELA officer Jason Palmer, Mendy Singer, Rabbi of Park Row Synagogue and Aamir Mohamed, President of the University of Bristol Islamic Society.

A copy of the open letter written by Bristol and Bath JSoc

Edward Isaacs, President of Bristol JSoc explained “This amendment is so important as it preserves parliamentary sovereignty yet allows a concrete definition of the treatment of Uyghurs as genocide, hopefully prompting the government and international community into taking action to stop these genocidal acts by China.”

The vote on this amendment is taking place on 9th February 2021.