bristol tier

BREAKING: Bristol to go into Tier 3 restrictions

The government announced the restrictions this morning

The government will put Bristol in Tier 3 restrictions when the second national lockdown ends on December 2nd.

Tier 3 means that pubs and hospitality venues will be closed, and people can only meet other households outdoors in public spaces where the rule of six will apply.

According to the latest data from Bristol City Council, Bristol’s infection rate is currently 390.2 new cases per 100,000 people. There were 1,808 positive tests in the last seven days.

In a statement, Bristol City Council said that decisions on Tiers are made by the government “without negotiation” with local authorities.

This is what the Bristol Tier 3 restrictions mean for students

Tier 3 restrictions mean that all hotels and tourist activities will remain closed, along with bars, clubs, pubs, and restaurants (although they can still operate a takeaway service).

Schools are universities will remain open and continue operating as normal. Most students are due to travel home in the government travel window of December 3rd to December 9th.

Outdoor sports can continue to take place, except for contact sports where risk of transmission is high. Gyms can reopen, although group classes should not take place, and steam rooms and saunas must be closed.

Places of worship may remain open, as long as attendees remain within their household bubble.

In good news, hairdressers and personal care establishments will be able to open and operate in Tier 3 restrictions.

Tier 3 restrictions mean that Bristol will be conducting mass testing using the new rapid tests recently deployed by the government.

Elsewhere in the country, Nottingham, Durham, Leeds, and Lancashire are all in Tier 3. London is in Tier 2, along with Brighton and Southampton.

The only areas in the entire country to be put in Tier 1 are Cornwall and the Isle of Wight.

Mayor warns that Bristol in Tier 3 will “decimate” hospitality

Bristol City Mayor, Marvin Rees, said, “While we all want to get back to normal as quickly as possible we also must get the COVID-19 infection rate in the city down. COVID-19 is devastating lives and livelihoods – people are becoming very unwell and businesses and workers are facing enormous financial challenges.

“For every moment we are in Tier 3, the hospitality sector will be further damaged, people will lose businesses they have built up and jobs will be on the line. We can all help move to a tier with fewer restrictions if we work together and follow the guidance.

“COVID-19 is transmitted from person to person, and we know that one of the main reasons for the recent increase in infection rates is because people are going into other people’s homes when they shouldn’t be. We all want to see friends and family, but for now it is really important we protect those we love by not visiting them. The sooner we all do this, the sooner we can get back to some normality.”