Bristol Uni’s Food Bank Society needs your help to feed people across Bristol

There are now many donation points across campus

Bristol University’s Food Bank Society is calling out for donations and volunteers, following the Government’s decision to vote against extending free school meals to 1.4 million children during school holidays.

The motion has resulted in significant public backlash, with the hashtag #endchildfoodpoverty being shared across social media.

A representative from the committee said: “It is imperative that, as a community, we show our support for those that this cruel and shameful decision will affect most deeply. Councils and communities across the UK have been amazing in launching their own initiatives to ensure that no child goes hungry this Christmas.”

Many businesses across Bristol are providing free meals this half term, however, it is not just vulnerable school children who are in need of aid. With fears that homelessness could soon reach ‘catastrophic’ levels in the city, the food bank is asking for donations more than ever.

As part of the community, students can help by contributing to the many donation points across campus, with the items being given to local charities such as Bristol Outreach Services for the Homeless, Bristol Soup Run Trust and Caring in Bristol.
The society’s aim is to get every Halls of Residence and University Faculty to implement a scheme for non-perishable foods, and they need volunteers to reach this goal.
If you’d like to get involved or have any questions, you can send an email to [email protected] or a message to their Facebook page.