These are the restaurants in Bristol helping to feed children this half term

A heart-warming show of solidarity from Clifton to Keynsham

Eight restaurants in and around Bristol have mobilised to help supply food to children in need of it during half term.

This comes after the government voted against a motion in parliament last Wednesday to extend free school meals to eligible children during school holidays until Easter next year. There has been significant public backlash in response.

The campaign to feed hungry children in the UK has been mobilised with the hashtag #endchildfoodpoverty , led by Marcus Rashford MBE and his work with FareShare, inspiring many to get involved in any way they can. The national dismay at the decision has been transformed into a wave of unity and perseverance thanks to the amazing gestures of kindness from independent businesses, contributing food off of their own backs to help those in need.

Here are all the Bristol businesses chipping in to provide free meals this half term.

Channings Hotel – Pembroke Road, Clifton

In Clifton, Channings Hotel have begun their own initiative to contribute to the campaign to end child food poverty. On their Facebook page, they have pledged a free meal to eat in or take away to anyone in need until 30th October.

Café Rosa – Gilda Parade, Whitchurch

Café Rosa, just outside of Bristol in Whitchurch, have signed up to the “helpoutwhenschoolsout” initiative, pledging a free child’s meal with every accompanying paying adult during half term. They’re giving plenty of choice, with options of a cheese, ham or tuna sandwich, a bag of crisps and a piece of fruit, or a children’s jacket potato with beans for the duration of this week.

Crispins Fish and Chips – Sandy Park Road, Brislington

Located in Brislington, Crispins Fish & Chips have taken “matters into their own hands” to help fight to end child food poverty, after disappointment at the result of the vote in parliament. Their contribution is an offering of a hot meal to any school-age child between Monday 26th and Thursday 29th October.

They are providing a choice between sausage (plain, vegetarian or battered) and chips or fishcake with chips.

The Crown Inn – Bristol Road, Keynsham

Another example of generosity from a local business comes from The Crown Inn, who have made all children eligible for a free sandwich and microwave meal to take home throughout the school term break.

They, like many others, have shown a wholesome commitment to their local community with this offer, and have also set up a donation page on their Facebook page to help the public contribute if they want to.

The Gallimaufry – Gloucester Road

This popular independent restaurant and bar on the busy Gloucester Road are offering delivery or collection of a free kids lunch this Monday to Friday, consisting of a “nutritious lunch with a drink & snack.”

In response to their kindness, they have received produce donations from several suppliers, and have coordinated with their own team of drivers ready to supply any vulnerable children in Bristol with the sustenance they need this half term. On their Facebook, they are keen to circulate news of their offer, as they “still have the capacity to provide for more.” To arrange receipt of this offer in confidence, simply call them on 07909512197, or message them on Instagram or Facebook.

Hugo’s Greengrocer Deli – North Street, Southville

In similar fashion, Hugo’s Greengrocer Deli are currently providing “lunch box style bags with some fruit and nice bits of veg” from half term and into the Christmas holidays free of charge for those in need.

They will be providing this generous offer from 10.30am, donating undeniably healthy and delicious food as part of the wider effort to ensure that children are being provided with the balanced diet they need over the holidays.

Pho – Clare Street, City Centre

Situated near Queen Square in an old bank, Pho is a Vietnamese restaurant chain famous for its noodles, curries and other delicious meals. They are kindly offering 50 free kids takeaway lunches from midday everyday during half term, consisting of veggie fried rice and a piece of fresh fruit.

This is part of a national campaign across all their restaurants, and they have pledged on their website to carry out this act of generosity “discreetly and safely.”

Ruby Jeans Coffee Shop – Pembroke Road, Clifton

Throughout the half term break, Ruby Jeans Coffee Shop are offering free lunch boxes of “a kids sandwich and a piece of fruit” to anyone who needs one, no questions asked. Their altruistic efforts gained support from Darren Jones, Labour MP for Bristol North, who commented “Great work!” on their Facebook post where they first advertised the offer.

Their efforts have been matched by others keen to help, with ham provided by Wood Family Butchers, and fruit donated by the staff at the Shirehampton Co-op.