Bristol Uni renames Colston Street Hall as part of their Black Lives Matter pledge

The accommodation is now called ‘No.33’

Colston Street accommodation has been renamed “No.33” recently, as part of the university’s pledge to review, debate and rename buildings with links to the slave trade.

This information was released by the executive team via a blog post celebrating Black History Month, which outlines the university’s new initiatives for Black students.

The Black Lives Matter movement in June pushed this motion, with students calling the uni out for being “insensitive” to Black students for using the original name.

Judith Squires, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost of the University of Bristol told The Bristol Tab about the decision to rename the accommodation. She said: “We anticipated that some students would feel uncomfortable being allocated to a residence with this name following recent public debates about the role of Colston in the transatlantic slave trade.

“As the accommodation at 33 Colston Street was simply named after the road it was located on and its name had no connection with the University itself, it was agreed that Colston Street accommodation be renamed as ‘No. 33’ before students moved into the accommodation at the start of term.

“Research is currently being carried out by Professor Olivette Otele which will inform a comprehensive review of relevant University building names and the University logo by the Anti-Racism Steering Group to ensure they reflect the University’s vision and values. This will include consultation with staff, students and the wider public.”

The news of the renaming comes shortly after the university’s release of their £1 million scholarship programme to support Black-heritage students.