Bristol Uni confirms cases of COVID-19

They are not releasing exact totals

Bristol Uni has confirmed multiple cases of Covid amongst the student community, including one confirmed case in a hall of residence.

A spokesperson confirmed that “a very small number” of students have tested positive, however the university has declined to release an exact total, saying “our numbers are contained within figures released by the local authority”

This news comes only days before classes commence, although much of the teaching this academic year is online.

Coronavirus cases are reported to the university by students and staff themselves via a Microsoft Forms online form, although the university is running in-house testing for students studying Medicine, Dentistry, and Veterinary science.

A University spokesperson said:“We can confirm that the number of students who have tested positive remains very low. We are monitoring the situation closely and if it escalates then we will provide a further update.

“We’re working closely with colleagues from Public Health England and Bristol City Council to manage these cases, and any individuals who have been in close contact with these students have been notified and advised to self-isolate for 14 days in line with Government advice. Everyone affected is being offered full support.

“Our online reporting form is working well, as is the regular testing of our clinical students. We have an NHS testing centre on campus outside the Victoria Rooms and we’re working in partnership with Bristol City Council to explore options for a second one. We are also in advanced discussions around acquiring additional commercial testing capability for symptomatic staff and students.

“All students have been encouraged to download the Government’s Test and Trace app and we have been regularly reminding them of the importance of adhering to social distancing guidelines. We will not hesitate to enforce disciplinary procedures against any student who is found to be breaking these important rules.

“Being very much part of the city of Bristol, with many of our students living in the community, our numbers are contained within figures released by the local authority.”

In an interview with The Bristol Tab on Monday, VC Hugh Brady: “If they [students] want to continue to have the on-campus, in-person experience, if they want to continue to have different, but a good social life, then they have to follow the rules because this thing can change so quickly.

“If necessary, we will apply our disciplinary code which includes everything from fines all the way through to expulsion at the other end.”

Disciplinary measures for breaking Covid rules include fines of up to £800, and even expulsion for repeat offenders.

Stock featured image credit: SWNS

Follow The Bristol Tab’s Facebook and Instagram pages for the latest Bristol Uni news and updates!