Bristol Uni places 13th in the country in Sunday Times Good University Guide

Engineering came out top, again

The Sunday Times has ranked Bristol 13th in the whole country and first for General Engineering in the Good University Guide 2021.

This is an overall improvement of two places on last year, taking Bristol up from 15th.

Bristol ranks below universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, and Durham, however sits comfortably above Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, as well as UWE who ranked 58th nationally.

Sunday Times Good University Guide Ranking

Per subject, Bristol also performed well. Out of 67 subject categories, Bristol ranked in the top 10 in 19 of them, or 28 per cent (Bristol does not offer courses in some of the categories).

The Graduate Outcomes survey also revealed very high employment prospects, with 83% of Bristol graduates in high-skilled employment or postgraduate study 15 months after graduation.

Categories where Bristol ranked in the top 10

However, Bristol ranked in the bottom four universities for Social Inclusion, coming 113th out of 116. Only Oxford, Durham, and Cambridge ranked lower.

Additionally, “barely one in 20 students” come from the most deprived areas of the country, despite Bristol’s noted “pioneering” of contextual offers.

Concerns were also raised around Student Satisfaction where Bristol performed worse than last year. Bristol ranked 110th for Teaching Quality, and 107th for Student Experience.

The Sunday Times notes that these scores “prevent Bristol from reclaiming its place  in the UK top-10 despite a two-place rise in our new academic ranking.”

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice Chancellor and President of the University, said: “Here at Bristol, we pride ourselves on the diverse, research-led education that we offer to our students. I am thrilled to see the commitment, passion and talent of our staff and students reflected in this year’s results.

“We will not, of course, rest on our laurels. Our ongoing, long-term investment across our facilities, staff and support services remains one of our top priorities, which will enhance the overall students experience and quality of teaching for years to come.”

A couple of weeks ago, The Guardian ranked Bristol 11th in the country and first for general Engineering and Mechanical Engineering in its 2021 rankings. QS World rankings put Bristol at 58th in world, 9th in the UK, and 14th in Europe.

Follow The Bristol Tab on Facebook and Instagram for the latest Bristol Uni updates!