Bristol Uni is making visors, not masks, mandatory in seminars

Phone, wallet, keys, Ucard, mask, VISOR !!

An updated version of this article is available here, following updated guidance from Bristol University since publication last week.

Transparent visors will be mandatory during seminars as part of Bristol Uni’s plans to limit the spread of coronavirus as students return to campus, and students will be turned away if they do not have one.

This new regulation follows the announcement that face coverings should be worn in all indoor spaces, which is now mandatory.

The guidance says that “it is mandatory to wear your visor in any teaching space and when you are queueing outside rooms before teaching starts”. Face masks are now mandatory “in any indoor space where you cannot maintain 2m distancing”.

The University told The Bristol Tab: “Wearing a visor is a key measure for keeping students safe so they will need to wear one whenever they have in-person teaching. A visor should be considered as important as bringing your phone or laptop onto Campus.”

The uni is providing masks and visors to all students for the start of the academic year, having ordered 75,000 in preparation. It is now possible to book your slot to collect your university issued face mask and visor from your faculty from the 21st September.

Bristol is one of the few universities to issue visors to their students, although many others are making masks mandatory indoors. UWE’s website only recommends that students wear face masks in indoor spaces, but it is not mandatory.

Alongside these measures, Bristol Uni is implementing “living circles” in halls, meaning that students will not be able to mix with students from outside their living circle, and breaking those rules could lead to fines of up to £800, including for students in private houses and flats.

Head to our Instagram story (@thebristoltab) to vote in our visor/mask poll!

Follow The Bristol Tab on Facebook and Instagram for the latest Bristol Uni updates!