24-year-old male arrested following the toppling of the Colston statue

This is the first known arrest

A 24-yea- old man has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage in connection with the toppling of the Edward Colston statue.

The statue in Bristol’s city centre was torn down by Black Lives Matter protesters on June 7th following the killing of George Floyd in the USA.

It was then rolled to Bristol Harbour where it was thrown in the water.

Colston statue removed from Bristol Harbour

Colston being dragged out of the harbour. It's better if you watch it backwards…(Video: Bristol City Council)

Posted by The Tab Bristol on Thursday, 11 June 2020

Police are reportedly looking for a total of 18 people in connection with the statue toppling.

The Tab exclusively spoke to the man who pulled the statue down, as well as a Bristol University student who assisted in rolling the statue to the harbour.

Bristol City Council retrieved the statue a few days later, and it was taken to the M Shed museum where staff have worked to preserve the statue, as well as the damage done during the protests.

The council have said it will be a museum exhibit.