The Colston Arms temporarily re-names itself ‘Ye olde Pubby Mcdrunkface’ following Black Lives Matter movement

Petition for UoB to start temporarily renaming its buildings like this??

The ‘Colston Arms’ has temporarily re-named itself ‘Ye olde Pubby Mcdrunkface’ whilst it looks for a more permanent name replacement. Outside the pub a handwritten sign reads ‘We are listening. Black Lives Matter’.

Owners of the pub have made clear that ‘Ye olde Pubby Mcdrunkface’ is a ‘clearly temporary’ name change. The owners are welcoming new and more permanent suggestions. Under the sign it states ‘Suggestions Welcome (Obviously)’ – though to be honest ‘Ye Olde Pubby’ is pretty good.

This comes after the fall of Colston’s statue at the Black Lives Matter protest, and the consequent renaming of streets and businesses associated with Bristolian slave traders.

Bristol University also has plans to review and ‘debate’ the renaming of buildings connected to the slave trade. We can only hope they take inspiration from this.

Photo credit: Martin Booth @beardedjourno