All the wholesome fundraisers UoB sport societies are doing in lockdown

The UoB Men and Women’s Hockey Clubs have raised over £10,000 in total

Across the university, societies are responding to the Coronavirus pandemic by raising money for charity – and have come up with plenty of inventive ways to do so whilst maintaining social distancing.

As lockdown drags on, and the string of cancelled tours and matches gets longer, the societies have raised money for a vast range of charities from mental health charities, to hospices, and even for international fundraising projects.

Here are some of their amazing efforts.

Men’s Rugby:

First day into our 1876km challenge!So far UBRFC have covered around 300km along with £340 being raised for @…

Posted by University of Bristol RFC on Monday, 27 April 2020

UBRFC have run 1876Km between members in support of Children’s Hospice South-West. The rugby club was founded in 1876, hence the distance.

They have managed to raise a massive £2068 so far and donations are still pouring in.

Snowsports:

From the 1st to the 31st of May, UoB’s Snowsports society, UBSC, are running a whopping 3200 miles – that’s 4 marathons a day – for charity. The mileage reflects the distance from Bristol to Les Deux Alpes, the destination of their cancelled ski trip, and back, twice.

In their #UBSCRunForTheMountains challenge, they are raising money for the Bristol-based mental health charity ‘Off the record’, who provide support for young people aged 11-25. They have raised over £600 so far.

Who needs Après when you can go for a nice, sweaty run? Right? (sad reacts only)

Women’s Hockey:

The UoB Ladies Hockey Club are also raising money during lockdown, by members running either 50, 75 or 100km each over a 2 week period.

The team are raising money for Women’s Aid, the national charity for women and children working to end domestic abuse. This is in response to the devastating affects of lockdown, with Women’s Aid recording a 25 per cent increase in calls to domestic abuse helplines.

The challenge, which started on the 27th April, raised over £5000 and completely smashed their target of £3000.

Men’s Hockey:

Starting today, 37 UBMHC members will be running the distance from #Bristol2Bermuda (5380Km) over 30 days in order to…

Posted by University of Bristol Hockey Club on Wednesday, 22 April 2020

The UoB Mens Hockey Club members are aiming to run the distance to Bermuda over 30 days. Their huge 5380 Km run is raising money for the iPartner India charity, which is providing food for vulnerable communities in India who are at risk of starvation due to the consequences of Covid-19.

So far they’ve managed to raise over £4000.

Lacrosse:

Bristol Lacrosse are taking part in a communal 10K run for the Teenage Cancer trust on the 3rd of June. The charity a charity aims to improve the quality of the life of young people from 13-24 who have been diagnosed with Cancer.

Although planned long before lockdown, running the Bristol 10K is no longer possible so the club has opted to do it individually, sharing their results via the now well-known Strava App.

Athletics and Cross Country:

Athletics is competing with UWE in their first ever virtual varsity running challenge on the 24th of May to raise money for Bristol Mind charity, who provide mental health support to people across all age groups.

Squash:

🌟Tour de Britain leg 5 + 6 completed🌟Good job everyone who is getting involved meaning we have completed the 145 miles…

Posted by University of Bristol Squash Club on Friday, 15 May 2020

The UoB Squash club have completed their own “Tour de Britain” in aid of NHS Charities Together. They ran, walked or cycled a total of 945 miles – the distance it would take to tour each venue that has held a British National Squash Championship since 1985.

Since completing the challenge, they have decided to go one step further and take their challenge to the Pyramids of Giza (“the home of squash”) by adding an extra 1191 miles.

Swimming and Water Polo:

UoB’s Swimming and Water Polo team have joined forces with universities across the country to compete in the Race to Poreč challenge, to walk or run the 970 Miles from Dover to Poreč in Croatia, where their tour would have been.

Bristol’s own have already completed the distance but are still raising money for the Leonard Cheshire PPE Appeal.

Korfball:

The Korfball society are also committing to a collective run of the distance between Bristol and Eindhoven, the location of their much anticipated, but cancelled, Attila Tournament. They are running 651km over the course of May for the local Bristol charity Above & Beyond, which supports NHS staff in the area.

The team have raised over £900, surpassing their target of £651.

Bristol Jets Cheer Squad:

The Bristol Jets Cheer Squad are running the distance of their cancelled tour to Fazana, Croatia. The 1896km collective run will be in aid of Bristol homelessness charity Caring In Bristol.

They have set their sights on a target of £1000.

Eng Maths FC:

Similarly, this UoB football team has raised money for NHS Charities Together by collectively running the distance from Bristol to Benidorm, yet another cancelled tour destination! Collectively the team have raised over £2000.