Exclusive: Bristol Vice Chancellor Hugh Brady to take 20 per cent pay cut

The rest of the executive team is taking a 10 per cent pay cut

Hugh Brady, VC of the University of Bristol, will be taking a 20 per cent pay cut, The Bristol Tab can reveal.

The VC announced it to staff in a live stream this morning, saying it has been confirmed by the remuneration board, who decide pay for all senior staff at the uni.

At the same meeting, it was also confirmed that all executive staff will receive a 10 per cent pay cut.

According to the University of Bristol website, Brady currently receives £300,000 per annum, with an additional £43,796 in lieu of employer pension contributions.

This decision comes as universities nationally are facing financial pressure as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Times reported earlier this month that universities will “face a hole in their finances” as international students choose not to study in the UK, with only 1 in 7 international students saying they will take up their places in September.

This is in contrast with the Oxford University VC who is refusing to take a pay cut, despite earning an eye-watering £450,000.

Imperial’s Alice Gast  – the country’s highest paid uni boss – has also taken a 20 per cent pay cut. Both Liverpool University and LSE are considering cutting pay for their Vice Chancellors, however this has not yet been confirmed.

The University of Bristol confirmed the move to The Bristol Tab, saying a formal announcement will be made later today.