Image may contain: Coupe, Sports Car, Window, Architecture, Road, Apartment Building, Machine, Wheel, High Rise, Town, City, Home Decor, Building, Urban, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Automobile

UoB issues coronavirus advice to students

The virus has killed 27 people

The University of Bristol is following guidance from Public Health England, and providing 'general advice' to its students following the recent spread of the coronavirus from China.

There are now 830 confirmed cases of the virus, which has killed 27 people and has recently spread to Europe.

The university, which has more than 2,000 Chinese students, is warning students to watch out symptoms such as a cough or a sore throat.

A spokesman for the University of Bristol said: “We are closely monitoring the guidance from Public Health England and will continue to be guided by them about any actions we should take to help protect the health of our staff and students.

"General advice has been communicated to students and staff in case they have any symptoms and have travelled to China in the last 14 days.”

The advice from the university states: "Coronavirus is a respiratory virus – this means the symptoms will often involve shortness of breath, a cough or sore throat. If you have these symptoms and have travelled to China in the last 14 days – in particular to Wuhan, Hubei Province, China – then please contact your GP by phone and remain at home.

"Staff due to travel to affected areas should refer to travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website."

The university also offered some reassuring advice: "Travel from the affected regions into the UK is now subject to additional health checks and screening at UK borders. UK public health measures are world-leading and the NHS is well prepared to manage and treat new diseases."

The Health Secretary Matt Hancock said that the risk to the public 'remains low' in the UK, where 14 people have been tested for the virus so far.

A spokesperson for Public Health England South West said: "At the moment, there has been no suspected cases in the South West."