Image may contain: Team Sport, Team, Sports, Sport, Person, People, Human, Football, American Football, Vehicle, Train, Transportation, Train Track, Railway, Rail

Meet the candidates running for Sport and Student Development Officer

Voting closes on Thursday

Ginny Troughton, 3rd year Zoology

Image may contain: Brick, Person, People, Human

What makes you the best candidate for the role?

‘Last year, I was club Captain of the women’s rugby, I have a good insight in how to sport works. I have worked closely with John this year, I've seen what thins work and don’t work’.

What part of your manifesto are you to most proud of?

‘The idea to try and get a free and accessible programme around exams. If we have a programme that’s well known throughout the uni, where you go and have a safe space or you have a run or something, that’s a good way to enjoy sport at a stressful time. I think it will lead people to participate in sport.’

What is the biggest change you want to make to your role?

‘I want to concentrate on getting more women into physical activity. In the free weights area that’s a massive thing. We’re moving towards equal ratios between men and women in sport. Women still feel that if they play rugby and football, they feel they will be judged in certain ways.’

What is your favourite takeaway on a Bristol night out?

‘Taka Taka, anything with halloumi in it.’

Isaac Haigh, 3rd year Chemistry

Image may contain: Sports, Sport, Cyclist, Vehicle, Transportation, Bike, Bicycle, Person, People, Human

‘My own personal experience and what I’ve drawn from that. I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety and I’ve found that sport really helped me. At the same time, I found it hard to get into sport. I want to make sport more accessible for students.’

‘The part of mental health, that’s really personal to me and my story. I think sport is one of the ways we can help mental health across the university and health in general.’

‘Making sport a lot more affordable, not just the gym. I want to reduce the cost of the We Are Bristol pass so anyone can access the sports hall. I want to make sure all clubs get all the funding they need. at the moment, some clubs have high membership prices, which deters people from sport.’

‘Taka Taka – the vegan roll.’