Here’s why our University Vice Chancellor is worth £282,472 a year

Bristol’s senior staff deserve their salaries

New rules proposed by Jo Johnson, the Universities’ Minister, could mean fines for institutions unable to 'justify' pay packets over £150,000 a year.

Some institutions, such as Exeter and Bath, have recently come under scrutiny for the high earnings of their top executives. Bristol itself employs 119 members of staff earning more than £100,000. 12 of them earn more than the Prime Minister.

The epicentre of UoB- Wills Memorial Building

Why does Hugh Brady, Bristol uni’s Vice-Chancellor, earn more than £300,000 a year in annual salary and remuneration? The university has responded that as a business, it needs to offer a ‘competitive remuneration package’ that can attract people ‘to lead this diverse and complex organisation’. With an annual turnover of over £500m, 20,000 students and 6,000 staff, the University of Bristol is on par with global brands such as Aston Martin and Manchester United FC.

Whilst Vice-Chancellors’ pay may seem high, it is worth remembering that American university heads often earn millions of dollars a year, miles ahead of their UK counterparts. In a wider business market, top executives in charge of similarly sized enterprises regularly earn more than £1m annually. Ed Woodward, former Bristol student and executive vice-chairman of Manchester United FC , earned £2.5m in his first year leading the club.

The man in question

The man in question

Concern over high Vice-Chancellors’ pay is linked to the rising problem of student debt. However, these problems are not directly linked. According to the University’s 2015/16 budget, tuition fees from UK and EU students only accounted for 22.5 per cent of annual turnover. Over five years, when the student body has increased by almost 50 per cent, fees have tripled and revenues have risen by more than £150m, the Vice-Chancellor has enjoyed a raise of only £9,000.

To suggest the Vice-Chancellor’s ‘exorbitant’ salary is to blame for students’ misfortune is disingenuous. Middle management and senior academics have scooped up the new revenues, meanwhile avoiding students’ ire. We shouldn’t be quick to blame them, though. In order to keep capable staff at Bristol the university has little other choice than to offer decent salaries. Professors and administrators are a prized commodity, and there’s always a higher bidder. The government’s plans to fine institutions with high salaries will only hit student services and lower ranking university staff.

Worth £9,000 a year?

Worth £9,000 a year?

When top American university personnel are paid as much as $7m a year, why are we still arguing over a few thousand pounds?

A far bigger scandal is the amount Vice-Chancellors at poorly performing unis are paid. Bristol is one of the best institutions in the country. However, Sheffield which ranks 15 places behind Bristol in the Complete University Guide Rankings, paid its Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Keith Burnett £385,053 in 2015/16 according to UCU figures.

Universities far below Bristol in almost every ranking are regularly paying their Vice-Chancellors as much if not more than Hugh Brady. This is the true outrage.

Clearly enjoyed his time here

Clearly enjoyed his time here

As Bristol students it is to be expected that we are concerned with our own university. However, when it comes to extortionate executive pay, the worst abusers are undoubtedly elsewhere.