Bristol student breaks atlantic rowing world record

Callum Gathercole rowed solo for 60 days from the Canary Islands to Antigua

Callum Gathercole has become the second Bristol student in the space of two weeks to break a world record by becoming the youngest individual ever to row the Atlantic ocean solo.

Credit: Talisker Whiskey Challenge

It took Callum 60 days to to row from the Canary Islands to the finish line in Antigua, setting off on December 20th and arriving in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

19-year-old Callum follows Freddie Wright (Bristol) and Jack Galsworthy (UCL) who two weeks ago broke the world record for the youngest double effort to row the ocean.

Credit: Talisker Whiskey Challenge

Like Freddie and Jack, Callum was taking part in the Talisker Whiskey Challenge when he broke the record. Callum was raising money for Brain Tumour Research, Princess Alice Hospice and BRACE Alzheimers Research, in memory of his father who sadly passed away two years ago after suffering from a brain tumour.

Callum has had success in rowing both nationally and internationally, rowing for Bristol’s first VII at the Henley Royal Regatta in the past.

Credit: Talisker Whiskey Challenge

Both the University and the Boat Club offer their congratulations to Callum, as he joins Freddie and Jack in this amazing feat.