Floyd Mayweather’s Bristol appearance cancelled after protests

Ticket holders will get a full refund

After heavy opposition from feminists, boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather’s appearance in Bristol has been cancelled.

Mayweather was set to appear in Bristol’s Colston Hall on February 2nd as part of his two week ‘victory tour’ that will see him visiting 8 cities all over Britain.

Mayweather, who retired from professional boxing last summer after beating Andre Berto for his 49th professional victory, was planning to make a speech during his appearance and give fans a chance to meet him face to face for short periods of time.

The idea of this event shocked some members of The Bristol University Feminist Society who called the boxer “a convicted woman beater who has shown no remorse.”

A campaign featuring some members of FemSoc, coupled with the efforts of the domestic abuse charity Fight Abuse Bristol, included a petition on Change.org and a planned protest outside Colston Hall.

The success of the combined efforts to cancel the event was met with joy from the protestors.

Julie Zerlang, who set up the petition on Change.org, said: “We welcome the news that the event has been cancelled.

“Our opposition, petition and planned protest came from a place of hurt. A place of hurt for the many women who daily suffer domestic abuse, and for their children who are equally affected by these atrocities.

“On average, two women die at the hands of their partner here in the UK and 750,000 children witness domestic violence every year, profoundly affecting them – as was the case with Mayweather Jr’s own children.”

Ticket holders have been told they will receive a full refund from Colston Hall.

None of the boxer’s other UK appearances have been cancelled.