CCL asked students to dress up as homeless people for a night

Hipsters and Homeless dress theme for SWX

The JCR at CCL halls enraged many students this week by asking freshers to dress up as homeless people for a night out.

They decided their theme for the Refreshers Festival in SWX this January would be “Hipsters & Homeless.”

The choice has been deemed inappropriate by many city centre living students.

Although the organisers changed their dress theme to “Mathletes and Athletes” after much objection, some students are still annoyed at the tasteless idea.

Hettie Stevens, a first year medic living in the halls this year, even took it upon herself to protest the decision and email the organisers.

He said: “Overall I just think this is a really sad reflection on attitudes towards the homeless community, especially at this time of year when there is usually a far more positive change.

“I sit in lectures about treating everyone equally and yet this is going on in our student community.

“How is it seen as acceptable to make a mockery of people who have already experienced such hard times in their lives?”

Hettie and other students living in her halls were so shocked by the theme that they are crying out for public acknowledgment of the gaffe and are suggesting that profits from the event could be given to a homeless charity.