Dropping out of Oxford to go to Bristol is the best decision I ever made

She loves going to the Watershed

Earlier this week The Tab revealed that Oxbridge have the lowest dropout rates.

This isn’t exactly shocking. It’s hard to imagine, after such a tough entrance process, the relief of getting an offer and the grades combined with the excitement of attending one of the best universities in the world, why anyone would want to leave.

Bristol second year Ellie Hill did just that. After a term of studying Spanish and beginners Italian at Somerville College she decided it was time to leave Oxford.

We spoke to Ellie about her decision.

What made you decide to leave Oxford? 

I decided to leave Oxford because unfortunately I just didn’t enjoy the language course there. It was extremely literature heavy – writing two or three essays a week in English on literature that I mostly read in English, I felt like I was on an English literature course. Having come from doing Maths and Chemistry at A-levels, this was just too much of a jump for me.

That’s a pretty bold decision, how did other people react? 

At first my parents tried to persuade me to stick it out (as you would), but I think it was obvious how miserable I was and they realised it wasn’t worth it. They knew it was my choice and after I made the decision they were extremely supportive. I’m always a bit apprehensive to tell people as it involves a fair bit of explanation.

At Bristol I generally get one of two reactions. Either “wow that must have been a really brave decision” or I get looked at like I’m an idiot, and that’s probably fair enough.

Why do you think Oxbridge have the lowest dropout rates?

I think if you make it through the rigorous interview system by impressing the tutors that are going to be teaching you during your time there, the likelihood is that you’re going to be the right person for it, as you really have to prove your passion for the subject.

Also, the doors that Oxbridge can open and the opportunities it can give you – dropping out isn’t a decision to be taken lightly, and I think most people considering it would decide to stick it out, even if they weren’t necessarily happy.

Ellie in Bristol

What are the main differences between studying at Oxford and studying at Bristol?

Oxford is simply much more demanding. You have very intense tutorials with one or two other people and a world expert on the essay you’ve just written, which is an absolute privilege and an incredible opportunity. At Bristol my smallest seminar is probably eight people.

I wrote four times the amount of essays in one term at Oxford (which is only eight weeks) than I did all year at Bristol. I think there are pros and cons here – at Oxford I learned that I could do things I had no idea I could do, like write a 3,000 word essay on a four word poem in the space of a week. But at Bristol I feel like I’ve studied subjects in much more depth, and really got to grips with the content and concepts. In terms of the language side of the courses, however, they are pretty similar.

Do you find the social life here quite different?

I have more time at Bristol, meaning I can go out more and do more things. Of course, there are people at Oxford that can do it all. Meet all their deadlines, go out a lot, be part of a sports team and act in plays but sadly I’m not one of those people. I did make great friends there, though, and do some really interesting things, which made it very hard to leave.

What is it that you love about Bristol?

I adore Bristol. I think it’s a fantastic city – the nightlife is great, I love the independent vibe, there’s always an interesting film on at the Watershed, and there’s always something to do. In terms of the course, I would really recommend it to anyone looking to do a languages course. It’s extremely varied. This year I’m studying literature, history, politics, and next term I get to do two cinema units which I’m very excited about. I think that the Modern Languages faculty is superb, and the experience feels just as personal as it did at Oxford.

For me, it was the best decision I ever made.