Thousands sign petition to force Bristol Uni to stop investing in fossil fuels

UK unis invest an estimated £5.2 billion in fossil fuels every year

Over 2000 students and university staff have signed a petition demanding the University of Bristol stops investing fossil fuel companies.

The petition, created by the University of Bristol Fossil Free Society, will be handed in to the university’s new Vice-Chancellor Professor Hugh Brady later today.

The university currently has capital in fossil fuels as part of its endowment fund.

The society have been campaigning for over a year on the issue and have finally made some progress.

Rachel Simon, one of the campaigners, said: “We’re very pleased to have reached this stage – it’s taken a lot of campaigning, a lot of petitioning, but we’ve collected over 2,000 signatures from the student body and members of staff.

“Finally we feel we’re in a position to make a real difference.”

Campaigners will march through Bristol this afternoon

The handing in of the petition will be marked by an event outside the university Gym on Tyndall Avenue. Activists will be standing outside trying to get a few final signatures on the petition and to inform passers-by of the petition’s existence.

Interactive games will also be happening at the event, to provide entertainment for the sweaty bodies exiting the gym as well as raise awareness.

Universities in the UK invest an estimated £5.2 billion annually in the fossil fuel industry but events like these are set to change that worrying statistic.

The campaigners are meeting today at 3pm by the Sports Centre and a march will follow.