Egg-throwing prank backfires when strange men break into block of flats to get revenge

They put an innocent guy in a headlock

When a flat of students living on the Triangle decided to throw eggs on passers-by below, they thought it was a perfectly harmless prank.

All hell broke loose though when a group of egg-splattered men broke into the building in an attempt to get their own back on the mischief-makers.

The unnamed pranksters were dropping eggs from their Digs flats above Piri Piri Chicken onto passers-by below.

It didn’t take long for some of their projectiles to hit a group of men who were in no mood for fun.

Maria Estevez, a worker at Piri Piri Chicken saw the events unfold. She said: “My co-workers and I saw it happening. There was a lot of shouting and people were looking up at the flats above us and raising their fists.”

The furious victims decided to take matters into their own hands and managed to burst into the building when someone exiting the block opened the main door.

The entrance to the student flats

Claire Miller, a student living on the floor below the culprits told us what happened.

She said: “The people who got hit were furious. They decided to come up and find the pranksters. We think they were just trying the doorbell for random flats as our buzzer rang several times and so did my friend’s below.

“Someone eventually opened their door to them. They wrongfully accused this person of egging them. When the person denied it and shut the door on them, they broke the lock and put the guy in a headlock.”

The scene of the crime

John Stevenson, another resident of the building and a second year Pharmacology student told The Tab: “Me and my flatmates heard about the whole thing the next day. Even now nobody knows who the pranksters are.

“The fact they managed to break in makes me wonder if security around here is good enough.”

John is worried by how easily people broke into the building

When asked for information on the incident or the security of the flats, Student Digs refused to comment.