How to survive ‘Dulldham’

Durdham is actually so boring

There’s a common misconception that Durdham started life as a nursing home and then became a student hall. Unfortunately the reverse is true.

It was built for the purpose of student accommodation on a relocated badger sett, from which its desolate “Badger Bar” takes its name.

Night life in Durdham

By the way it’s a hall in Stoke Bishop hidden behind a load of trees at the top of the hill, in case you didn’t know. And let’s face it, you probably didn’t. It’s kind of like Will’s and Churchill’s ugly cousin who they’re embarrassed to be seen with.

Nuff said

As a second year who spent a year acclimatising to uni life amidst Durdham’s comatose social scene, I managed to have a fun year and even make a friend or two on the way.

Make Group Chats 

In a flat of five or six, chances are there’s maybe two flatmates you can remotely stand, so you probably already made friends with your course-mates and other flats, (right?). Group chats are the only way to stay connected with the friends you can truly have fun with: not the flatmate who can’t decide until the last minute whether to go out or the one who thinks shots of Smirnoff Ice is a thing.

Take for instance last year’s D38 and their infamous D-block chat, a plucky attempt to force an entire block of 65 strangers to come out of their holes and meet each other. It was used for one night out, in which it was spammed entirely with messages like “where are you?!” causing nearly everyone to mute or leave. Oh well, we tried.

Don’t tell people you live in Durdham

You’ve probably already been asked where you live, replied with “Durdham”, and were met with either a burst of hysterics or confusion as to what “Durdham” is. You tried to defend it: “The bar’s really good but no one goes there because it’s easier to just pre in their kitchens”.

This is probably the most scandalous thing that ever happened in Durdham

No one from Durdham is proud of being from Durdham. Just avoid the question. (Or lie and say you’re in Hiatt Baker “Q” Block.)

Throw a block party

Inspired by Hiatt Baker N-block’s tradition of antics, you may decide to give this a try. (Despite the fact you don’t know any of your neighbours and the senior residents shut you down after 11:30pm for noise.) Oh well, you can still dream.

He’s dreaming about Motion

Host pre-drinks and invite everyone

Durdham at least has a facebook page. There’s no harm in breaking the ice and sending out an open invitation for a cheeky pre-drinks mingle is there?

Actually there is. Everyone will see it and still decide to pre with their own flat once again and you’ll look like a right tosser.

They’re not hungover, they’re waiting for pre’s to start

Go on Stoke Bishop bar crawls

This is perfect because there’s no taxi or bus involved, the bars are only a two-minute walk from each other and they’re always full. But you’ll probably want to skip the Durdham bar, which usually happens because people didn’t know it was there in the first place. From Hiatt Baker’s gothic booths to Badock’s wavy ambiance, Stoke Bishop has a fair selection of really cool bars. Too bad Durdham isn’t one of them.

On the plus side, the bar staff are really friendly

Go to all the secret Durdham raves

Yeah no, this isn’t a thing.

Cray cray

Move halls

I was only kidding earlier. Make the most of second and third year; there’s no real way to have fun in Durdham.