Residents lose everything in Colston Street blaze

‘I’m pretty sure all my stuff is gone’

The UoB’s Colston Street Halls were up in flames today after a fire broke out on floor 11.

The 120 Students who are currently housed at 33 Colston Street were moved to nearby Orchard heights.

Filled with fear, frustration and fury over the prospect of losing all their earthly belongings, the students of Colston Street gave us their stories.

Lette Batten-Turner and Bobbie Catani, first year Historians

“Were from floor 11, the place where the fire started. Everything we own is now gone. All our clothes and electronics. I was in a seminar and someone sitting next to me showed me a picture of a house burning down, it was my house.

Right now were desperately trying to buy phone chargers so we can still communicate with people back home. This is the worst Monday ever.”

Edwardo Grasseli, 4th Year Russian

“I have the great misfortune of being from floor 12 so I’m pretty sure all my stuff is gone. I’m actually pretty chilled out though, I guess that’s the Russian way. I’m alive and my beard is intact so its not all bad!”

Conor O-Hare, 1st Year Theatre Studies

“This really is horrifying. Luckily i’m from floor 4 so I think the only damage I will be facing is water damage from the hoses. I came back into the halls from a lecture and was really confused why everything was so foggy, then the fire alarm went off and I got the hell out. I feel really lucky that I brought my laptop and wallet though.”

Lauren Lu, 3rd Year Mechanical Engineering

“I am so frustrated and my friends cant do anything to console me. I had just bought a new keyboard and laptop and now that might all be gone! I dont want to change my accomodation but who knows what will happen now.”