Let’s face it, Bristol is not that wavey anymore

Everyone else has stolen our style

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson “What happened to you man, you used to be cool”.

Wavey-ness, not to be confused with waviness (the act of having or consisting of a series of undulating and wave-like curves) is a word which many would describe as the epitomising symbol of Bristol.

We are part of the lucky bunch of unis that are regularly ridiculed and placed under a specific stereotype: Cambridge and Oxford are the posh ones, Durham are the Oxbridge rejects, Leeds are the druggy ones, and Bristol, well, we are the wavey ones.

As a proud third year of Bristol, I have always help this great label proudly above other places. It may be a bit of a pretentious stereotype, but when urban dictionary defines you as “Lookin Fly”, “Swaggarific” and “Cool”, then life must be pretty sick.

However, walking round Bristol today has made me think, something has changed.

We’ve lost it guys.

Why are we the “wavey” ones?”what makes us any different from any other generic, “cool” university?

I mean just look at this example of classic Bristol attire:

She looks pretty wavey doesn’t she? denim, flowery shirt, we can all come together and agree the garms are on point. Except there is one problem:

This was taken from the Tab Cambridge. 

Face it guys we are in the middle of an identity crisis.

First off, the fashion:

When everyone tries to be wavey, non-conformist, anti-establishment, hipster or whatever bullshit label people class these days then who are the wavey ones?

Wavey is a dress sense, something uncommon which is regarded as cool and unique, vintage chic if you will. But who is unique when everyone looks the same.

The other day as I walked down woodland road in a shirt and chinos, and realised I was the weird one, amongst of mess of scarves, denim and sequins, I was shunned.

I’m not telling you all what to wear I’m just saying you look generic.

The music and nights:

Yes, yes we have Motion and Lakota big woop.

But wait, why are these different again? is taking an expensive taxi to a 20 quid club wavey, I staying in a warehouse with sweat dripping on your head wavey?

Don’t say it’s the music or the nights as well because these kind of things happen across the whole country (except maybe Durham).

This is an event description from Lakota:

“Something’s brewing deep in the jungle – the rumble is a coming and to prepare for the storm we’re bring you a MINI TING: RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE. We’ve got some of the biggest up and coming names in jungle with hard amens and ragga styles Rumble in the Jungle is staying true to form.”

And here is one from leeds

Now any moron can see these things are absolutely identical, one from Leeds one from Bristol, showing that these kind of clubs and nights are not special.

Although one problem, the last one was actually made up by me.

But the fact you believed it shows that you already know these kind of events are expected everywhere.

This trick does not get old.

The lifestyle:

Hey, did you know this university is famous for the rip roaring, drugs, weed, and md infused lifestyle?

So is every other uni – heck we are not even top five.

Move along

The city:

Bristol is one of the best cities in the world, no doubting that, but is it really wavey?

Our local accent makes the town sound like extras in hot fuzz and calm, beautiful, British ale and cider infused atmosphere makes the whole place feel like a friendly pub.

Bristol is certainly artsy, although that is entirely because of banksy, so as a university we can’t really claim that as our own trait. But Tom we have wacky and wavey events you say!

No we don’t, we have three cranes doing a 360 degree turn, that’s not wavey, that’s stupid.