Chia Seeds are a hipster food sensation. But do they taste good?

Beyoncé loves them apparently

Chia seeds promise the world. Ostensibly they’re so good for you, you’ll not only be healthier if you eat them but a better person as well. 

Full of calcium and protein, endorsed by celebrities and hipsters, I turned to the seeds as an enthusiastic vegetarian on the lookout for a healthy alternative to eggs or porridge.

After a trip to Wholefoods, the most hipster food-store in London, I bought chia seeds for £1.99. I googled recipes with a sigh, expecting Deliciously Ella to encourage me to buy weird stuff like hemp, nutritional yeast or even grass.

It turns out you only need four ingredients: chia seeds, milk (cow’s or almond- I opted for almond), honey, and vanilla flavouring. Dates are optional.

I shoved all the stuff into a glass and hoped for the best. After giving the mixture a good stir, I placed it in the fridge to set overnight as directed. The next morning, I eagerly grabbed the pudding, and before even trying it I proudly uploaded a photo of my brekkie to Instagram. The response wasn’t particularly enthusiastic.

Cool filters don’t guarantee likes

I totally understand the craze. Though a little sweet, my chia seed pudding was delish, and it only took me 5 minutes to assemble. The next day I opted for less vanilla flavouring and a few raspberries. I’ll never look back.

I’d score my plain pudding (with raspberries) a 4/5.

The great thing about chia seed pudding is you can experiment, and whatever you add (within limits) usually tastes good. I went mad one night at 4am, and along with the usual four ingredients, I mixed in cocoa powder and a little bit of cinnamon. I even topped the pudding with granola because yolo.

The result was rather different and more dessert-like than it’s plainer counterpart, but it was reasonably enjoyable nonetheless. I’m scoring it an average 3/5 (perhaps chocolate in the morning isn’t really my thing).

My cat: WTF is that?!

I found the next recipe online, when looking for more exotic combinations. I got to make a mango puree which I was really excited about.

Feeling like a contestant on Masterchef, I added the plain mixture to my mango puree, and let it set overnight. In the morning, I garnished the pud with some almonds (though the recipe suggested using macadamia nuts) and tucked in.

The mango chia seed pudding definitely deserves a 5/5. If you have a little extra time in the evening, I’d really recommend giving it a go.

I might drop out and take up photography

I’m pretty happy with my new “thing”. I feel really healthy (until lunch when I eat a burrito bigger than my face) and the whole concept is pretty great if you don’t have much time in the morning.

Don’t get me wrong: poached/scrambled/fried eggs all the way, but if you really want to make your female flatmates jealous, try chia seed pudding!