A Level students applying to Bristol Uni left in the lurch

41,000 people applied for the 4,500 places available

Angry A-Level students were left in the lurch last week as “communications issues” left them wondering if they’d got into Bristol. 

The technical issues meant students were left waiting for news about potential offers, putting some at risk of losing offers at other universities.

A spokesperson for the university said it had been making personal calls to try to resolve individual situations.

It apologised on Twitter to those “experiencing delays getting through”.

Rachel Johnson, journalist and sister of political oaf Boris Johnson was one of those caught up in the mess.

As her son Oliver struggled to find out if he’d got into Bristol, she tweeted her outrage. She said her son: “suffered at the hands of the incompetent Bristol Uni.”

She added they “could be screwing over the hopes of thousands of students.”

Others tweeted their annoyance at the situation, with one writing: “Appears you’ve still not made decisions and now you’ve gone until Monday? How is this fair?”

The University were unable to confirm whether or not students had places for the 2015 intake. This even led to some students being forced into clearing because Bristol didn’t get back to them.

A spokesperson said the uni had been dealing with an “unprecedented number of calls” but had called students “once a decision had been made”.

Bristol University then issued grovelling apologies to the students affected, and even personally called Rachel Johnson – leading her to retract her remarks.

41,000 students applied for the 4,500 places available.

The mess is part of a rich tradition of bureaucratic fuck ups at Bristol. Last year, hundreds of new students were left without accommodation with many being forced to sleep in a bunk bed: poor things.

Popular Stoke Bishop hall Hiatt Baker was mired in controversy after building work seriously compromised living conditions for hundreds of furious students. 

A University spokesperson told The Tab “We experienced an unprecedented number of calls during the A-level results period, with up to 5,000 calls a minute at one point, which unfortunately caused some issues with our telephone system.”

“We appreciate that it was a very frustrating and anxious time for students who were trying to get through on our results hotline. The issue has now been resolved, and all our places have been filled.”