Massive Attack’s Daddy G seems pretty chilled about legendary DJ Derek’s disappearance

‘He’s probably still in spoons’

A member of one of Bristol’s biggest musical exports, trip-hop two piece Massive Attack, has revealed he was not overly concerned when he first heard about the disappearance of DJ Derek, suggesting he may had “just gone walkabouts”.

Daddy G added his voice to a growing chorus of concern for the whereabouts of the 73 year-old DJ, who according to family and friends has not been seen for three weeks.

As of this morning, Avon & Somerset police said the DJ from St Paul’s was still missing and that inquiries aimed at tracking him down were ongoing.

SWNS_DJ_DEREK_08

Derek has visited every spoons in the country

Speaking to ITV News, Daddy G seemed relaxed about the missing DJ, a musical pioneer who helped bring reggae to the UK. Daddy said:

“He’s just gone walkabouts. It’s quite well known he does tours of Wetherspoon pubs – he’s probably still there!”

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 12.21.48

Daddy G and Derek have been mates for years

“The thing is about Derek is that he’s never had a mobile phone or anything like that – he doesn’t really embrace technology. Nowadays it’s easy for anybody to be traced through a mobile phone or whatever and it seems quite weird that someone like DJ Derek – who is quite prolific with his DJing – doesn’t have a mobile phone.”

“That’s quite a brilliant thing but in this case, when people say they haven’t seen him for a couple of weeks, it’s kind of a bad thing.”

Daddy G revealed he and a fellow DJ were making a film about the pensioner, whose disappearance has sparked a high-profile social media campaign to find him.

“He’s basically a national treasure and it’s brilliant he’s from Bristol. He’s found fame in the last 15 years of his life – it’s great having him around.”

Anybody who has any information regarding Derek’s disappearance should call Avon & Somerset Police on 101.