Bristol legend DJ Derek reported missing

His family say he’s been gone for three weeks

A 73-year-old legendary DJ who appeared at Glastonbury and was one of the first to play reggae in Britain has been missing for three weeks, according to his family.

Derek Morris, aka DJ Derek, has played hundreds of sets over the years and worked with high profile artists including Dizzee Rascal and Massive Attack.

Members of the 73-year-old’s family say they are extremely worried about him and have informed police.

DJ Derek has become a legendary figure on the Bristol music scene

Derek’s niece Jennifer says her family has not seen or heard from her uncle in three weeks.

Posting on Derek’s Facebook page, she said: “Has anyone seen Derek in the last three weeks? This is urgent please let us know.

“Police are now informed and he is being treated as a missing person.”

The post has been shared almost 200 times in just a few hours, with lots of people sending their well-wishes to his family.

Derek is renowned for having visited every Wetherspoons in the country

Jennifer also tweeted the Post and Bristol Mayor George Ferguson about Derek’s disappearance.

She said: “My uncle DJ Derek is missing please if anyone has any info to contact me or the police. I can’t sleep and at wits end as I feel totally hopeless.”

Hundreds have been sharing the appeal on social media, with Mayor George Ferguson replying: “I’m very sorry to hear this @XxJenniferAmyxX #DJDerek is a legend – I’ll do all I can to spread word across #Bristol”.

Bernard Burnside added: “Really hope DJ Derek is ok. He’s an inspiration.  Many a good night with him at the helm.”

Kieron Moyles tweeted: “Keep an eye out especially in the Bristol area. DJ Derek is a mighty selector.”

DJ Derek has been a resident of St Paul’s, Bristol, since 1978. He was formerly an accountant for Cadbury and became a DJ by accident in his mid-30s.

In 2010, he appeared in the video for the Dizzee Rascal hit Dirtee Disco.

Since then he has played sets at the Glastonbury festival and has worked with the likes of Massive Attack.

Anyone with information about Derek’s disappearance should call 101

He is known for playing a blend of ’60s rocksteady, reggae, ska, dancehall and soul music.

Derek’s love of reggae and a growing record collection eventually led him to start DJ-ing at local pubs like the Star and Garter.

His popularity has grown in recent years and in 2013 he was awarded a local “OBE” – for outstanding Bristolian entertainer.

He hung up his headphones the same year, spinning for the last time on New Year’s Eve at Notting Hill Arts Club in London.

Speaking at the time he said: “This New Year’s Eve will be last gig I do there and will also be my last ever gig.

“I turned 72 this month and while I’m reasonably healthy it’ll be nice to do some travelling without carting my gear around.”

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said: “He was reported missing to us last night by his family.

“Anyone who has any information about his disappearance should call us on 101.”