The shape of your pint glass might be making you drink slower

Maybe this is why you keep struggling to see off your pint

Boozehound researchers from the University of Bristol have discovered the shape of your pint glass influences the speed at which you’re able to drink it.

According to the investigation led by PhD researcher David Troy, a straight pint glass will make you drink slower than a curved glass.

The life-changing discovery was made by the Bristol Alcohol and Tobacco Research Group, a group who probably sound a lot more fun than they actually are.

This straight glass will have you back at the bar for another round before you realise

David Troy said the purpose of the investigation was “to research alcohol control strategies to combat excessive alcohol use”. He sounds like he’d be fun at a party.

Three pubs were involved in the study and over two separate weekends they used two separate shapes of glass – curved and straight. The pubs using straight-sided glasses reported lower takings, indicating less consumption and slower drinking speed.

This outcome was also matched in a lab test involving 160 people which showed participants drinking slower from straight glasses.

If you had to down one of these to prove your worth as a human being, you’d want to pick the one on the right

He’s had enough

Commenting on the study, senior researcher Dr Angela Attwood warned against downing your pint like a ruddy fresher.

She said: “The speed at which beer is drunk can have a direct effect on the level of intoxication experienced.”

When informed of the study, first year historian Joshua Gostick showed very little interest in changing his ways and sipping his pint like some sort of weirdo.

He said: “I like my beer glasses the way I like my girls: curved. Who cares if that means I drink quicker?”