Green Party candidate laughs it off after supporter shoves cash in fresher’s bra to win vote

‘I’m sure it was done in jest’

For the Boat Club’s Novice Women team, Tuesday evening was meant to be just another night of social drinks and bonding at the Berkeley Wetherspoons.

Any illusions this was a normal week-night were shattered when a supporter of the Green Party shoved £60 into a fresher’s bra to try and win her vote in the general election.

Since the alarming incident, the Green Party candidate for Bristol West has dismissed reports of the incident as “ridiculous”. Speaking to The Tab, Darren Hall said: “I’m sure it was done in jest.”

‘Done in jest’: Darren Hall dismissed the incident as ridiculous

The man responsible for the unwanted attack is thought to have been in his 40s and was in the pub carrying a Vote Green banner.

The coach of the Women’s Novice team, who preferred not to be named, said: “He told us he’d been at a massive Green Party rally and said ‘If you vote for the Green Party, I’ll give you money’.”

The Nov Wom’s pres turned political thanks to an unwanted intruder

When one of the first-years on the team said she was supportive of the Greens, the man shoved a wad of cash into her bra.

The victim said: “I told him I thought Bristol should be a green city so he put £30 down my top.

“I was shocked and said I couldn’t take the money, but then he rammed another £30 down my bra and ran away shouting ‘Vote Green!’ before I could give it back to him”.

Bribery at The Berkeley

There is currently no evidence to suggest the man is a member of the Green Party. It remains to be seen whether this last minute campaigning on the party’s behalf will have helped them topple the Liberal Democrats to win the Bristol West seat.