Email screw-up sends application update to students who didn’t even apply to Bristol

They were all told their application to study Law is still under consideration

Bungling admissions staff accidentally sent an email intended for this year’s batch of applicants to hundreds of other students including one person who lives as far away as Australia.

Baffled students at other universities and from other countries have been posting screenshots of the email online, querying how Bristol uni got their contact details in the first place, given many of them never applied to study here.

The email reads: “Your application to study at the Bristol University Law School is still under consideration.

“As you will know we can only consider applicants who have completed the LNAT. We have not been able to trace a test score for you so far, so please provide your LNAT ID.”

Alicia, who is a Fresher at UCL studying History, told the Tab: “I never actually applied to Bristol – but received an email today about submitting my score for LNAT for Bristol law.

“I’ve received emails in the past thanking me for applying. I assume they got my contact details through UCAS or when I went for an Open Day at Bristol.”

She never applied to Bristol, she studies at UCL and does History

Alicia told the Tab: “Their emails are definitely wasted on me, especially since I’m at UCL, studying History, and not planning to apply!”

Another person affected by the administrative mishap doesn’t even go to uni and actually lives in Australia.

The guy lives in Australia for fucks sake

Tom, who like Alicia has never applied to Bristol, said: “I’m actually in Australia, hoping to study nursing here. I’ve never applied to Bristol – it was funny getting that email.”

A spokesperson for the university has apologised for the mistake. They said: “We are very sorry this mistake has occurred, and are doing our utmost to minimise the impact. We have sent a follow-up email to all those who have been contacted to apologise.

“We are investigating how this has happened and will be putting in place measures to avoid this happening again.”

*This article originally indicated the email was sent by staff from the Law Department. We have since been informed the email came from the Central Admissions Office.