Number 16 bus to breathalyse freshers after driver complaints

Update: check the date

Heavy-handed security services this morning announced plans to breathalyse freshers getting the number 16 bus in the evening, after drivers complained about the behaviour of drunk passengers.

From the beginning of May, anyone boarding the number 16 after 8pm will be breathalysed before they are allowed on the free bus service. This will run for a trial period of one month.

The new rule follows a series of incidents involving Stoke Bishop freshers acting drunk and disorderly on their way to and from nights out on the Triangle.

You must be sober to ride

Drivers have lodged complaints with the university about students chanting, throwing up, throwing food at each other, abusing alcohol and illegal substances in open view of the driver, and engaging in what can only be described as “heavy petting”.

Rules already exist to prevent passengers bringing alcohol onto the bus with them, but now even alcohol already in your system will prevent you from being allowed to ride the magic bus.

Instead, pre-drinkers will be forced to either shell out hard-earned coins for taxis.

He remembers his first beer

Fortunately pre-drinks don’t have to be cancelled entirely as there is some lee-way in the new rule. Students will have to blow higher than 0.1 (roughly three pints of standard lager depending on your height and weight) to be refused onto the bus.

Once the trial period is over, the university will review feedback from drivers and students before deciding whether to enforce the rule next year.

First year Hiatt Baker resident Daisy Roopfall said: “This is bullshit. My parents pay nine grand a year and I need a safe way to get back after Monday Bunker. Look at me, I wouldn’t make it across the Downs with this face.”