Why, why, why does ketchup cost 10p in the Refectory?

They’re ripping you off

There is nothing more irritating in life than the petty things. Parking tickets, queue jumpers and slow internet.

Now you can add paying 10 pence for ketchup in the Refectory to that list.

As Britain’s national sauce ketchup really is one of life’s most basic needs. Our country’s love affair with ketchup is so famous the great Thierry Henry once disdained our love for the blood coloured condiment: “Ketchup on everything, do you not want to taste the food?”

Sorry Thierry, we don’t.

Particularly not after a dodgy kebab from Donervan. But, despite charging extortionate prices for their chips even Donervan don’t put a tax on their water-downed excuse for ketchup.

The Refectory ticks so many boxes: cheap food, vending machines, plenty of seating and flashy computers. Some have gone as far as calling it the social hub of the university.

It could be the social hub of the university but lets itself down badly by exploiting its customers of a basic need: free ketchup.

Unfortunately commercialism has reared its ugly head again. A supposed subsidised canteen is now charging more for sauces than McDonald’s. What a time to be alive.

Students waiting to be ripped off

What’s more, once you have coughed up the last remaining pennies of your student loan the ketchup you receive isn’t even Heinz. Talk about getting a raw deal.

We all know that ketchup that isn’t Heinz is not quite the same. The taste is too sweet, the texture slightly lumpy and the smell often sickly.

Only one winner

Admittedly the substituted ketchup doesn’t taste all that different but it’s the principle that matters. Honest students who want decent ketchup are being left short-changed.

This is bullshit

The real problem for students is this is a never-ending cycle of doom. Until a boycott or campaign is started this is a problem that will never end.

Ketchup lovers will not stop buying the Refectory’s inadequate, pricey alternative and the Refectory will not stop selling it. It’s a vicious circle.

Something needs to be done.