AMM descends into silliness thanks to Twitter feed frenzy

As you weren’t there, here’s what you missed

This year’s Annual Members Meeting of the Bristol student union was a lively affair filled with heated debates on abortion, anti-semitism and a generous helping of free pizza.

The SU also chose to project the event’s twitter feed (linked by #iAMMhere and #iAMMgoing) onto a huge screen in front of the audience.

I AMM unamused

Passionate talks about vegetarian rights and tampons were interrupted by raucous laughter as anonymous tweeters called the debates “a bit quorn-y” and “Bloody amazing. Period”.

Not to be restricted to puns, other tweeters punctured the democratic silence from the SU on the nuclear deterrent Trident:

“Trident is a badman weapon. Jus sayin” and “Breaking news: Bristol SU has no control over whether or not Trident is replaced”.

I had 4

One inspired tweeter even asked “Can the union vote to declare war on UWE?”

This really got the crowd into the aggressive spirit of things and a few other audience members sought to harness the powers of 21st century democracy for evil by posting the following spoilers onto the huge projection screen:

“Walter White dies”

“Dan is Gossip Girl”

“Joffrey Dies”

You want some?!

Towards the end of the event’s arduous 4 hour lifespan, the energy in the room might have been flagging but the way of unay lived on in the Twitter feed at least:

“Dropping before this was a bad idea #IAMMbuzzing”

“Man has been a real roadman since day. Ride or die”

“Anyone got baccy? Will give Bs on zoot”

Democracy truly is beautiful.