Fuze 2015: Meet the organiser and dancers

Life is their catwalk

Fuze is only hours away now, and with the excitement ramping up we’ve been speaking to the people involved in Britain’s largest student-run fashion, music and dance event.

Yesterday we spoke to two of this year’s models, today we speak to the organiser behind the show, as well as one of this year’s dancers.

Emily Littlehales – organiser, dancer and all round manager

What made you want to get involved with Fuze?

I was actually searching for the dance society at freshers fair 3 years ago, and a Fuze scout asked how they could help. I ended up attending a Fuze dance audition as a result, and have been a part of it ever since.

Work it

What’s your favourite part about putting on the show?

It’s the combination of such a ridiculously high level of talent and creativity that I most love about the show. Watching dancers, musicians and models come together with big lights, smoke machines and a huge sound system is a rare and incredible experience.

Are there any surprises in store for us?

You’ll have to wait and see! All I can say is that this REALLY will be the best show yet.

What’s your favourite part of the whole experience?

By the time February comes around, every single person involved with the creation of Fuze truly feels like family. There’s a bond that can’t easily be explained, nor easily broken.

We all get so close to each other after giving so much of ourselves to this project. My favourite part would have to be at the very end of the show, when every one of those now-family members steps on stage to bow to a cheering audience.

You catch the eye of whoever is standing by your side, and share in the most accomplished smile you’ve ever felt your face make. That moment is one I’ll hold onto forever.

Antonela Maioru – Dancer

Strike a poseWhat made you join FUZE?

I joined FUZE in 2013 and have been a loyal member ever since. First and foremost, I’m dancing in a team of very talented people who have so much technical knowledge and experience in dancing and performing – it’s a brilliant opportunity to learn and improve my technique.

Besides being an exceptional show that attracts a large audience year by year, FUZE is dedicated entirely to charity as all profits go to various causes. Last year we raised £22,000 for Anti-Slavery International.

The satisfaction I get from being able to contribute to charity through merely following my passion is immense. I would strongly encourage anyone to get involved in FUZE in any way they can as it is a unique experience that will leave you with great memories and friends.

Have you ever done anything like this before?

I have performed in other dance shows, but nothing that rises to this level of professionalism and talent. FUZE is beyond anything I have done and probably will do as a dancer.

Have you had any embarrassing moments?

I can’t remember anything extraordinary, except for the usual embarrassing moments in rehearsals when I do the wrong move at the wrong time while everyone else gets it right (it’s even worse when you are in the centre at the very front…) or occasionally falling over my own feet.

It’s worth mentioning though that Ryan, one of the dancers, once ripped his jeans while he was doing a split jump. The best part is we caught it on camera!

What are you most looking forward to in the show?

The irreplaceable atmosphere, hearing the murmur of the audience from the dressing rooms, the backstage anxiety displayed through endless stretches and practice, the adrenaline that hits you when you are about to go on stage, music flooding your ears and your soul, those minutes while you perform when it feels like you aren’t breathing and finally, the avalanche of happiness, hugs and laughter that follows every single dance!

The FUZE team will be performing on Friday 20th February and Saturday 21st February. Click here to get tickets.