Sorry Bristol swept away by Scousers in Uni Challenge

They blew it

Bristol’s best boffins were given an intellectual thrashing by our northern counterparts Liverpool in last night’s University Challenge quarter-final.

Despite taking a 45-point lead, stumbling fingers on buzzers and wild guessing gave Liverpool the chance to go on a 105-point run.

On the closing stretch they beat us to the buzzer on pivotal questions about fossils, the anatomy of fish and the ratio of a photon, points which effectively ended Bristol’s hopes of going home victorious.

On the Bristol team were Lewis Rendell (Maths), Benjamin Moon (PhD Geologist), captain Anastasia Reynolds (Czech and Russian), and Miles Coleman (Spanish and Portuguese).

Liverpool put on a late surge to end up winning

Jeremy Paxman was on his usual form, scolding those who failed to answer correctly and scoffing at anyone who was ignorant of the deepest historical knowledge.

They could feel it slipping away…

The final score was 175-115 to Liverpool, a credible but insufficient performance from Bristol, harming their chances of making the semi-final stage.

Bristol has sadly never won the prized University Challenge crown, or even reached the final, despite the show running since 1963.

However, the current format consists of multiple quarterfinals, so Bristol could still pull through provided they beat their next two opponents.

2015 could still be the year…